Robert Ercole, a principal with Neuberger, Quinn, Gielen, Rubin & Gibber, P.A., is a tax and corporate attorney who advises companies and individuals on matters ranging from sophisticated business and tax planning, mergers and acquisitions to complex commercial real estate sales, acquisitions, joint ventures and financings. His clients include large commercial real estate developers, joint ventures, entrepreneurs, family offices and high-net-worth individuals involved in business and real estate transactions throughout Baltimore, the Mid-Atlantic region and the nation.
Drawing on more than three decades of experience in tax and business law and as a Certified Public Accountant, Bob advises clients on creative tax-avoidance structures. He is skilled in developing plans to avoid Maryland and local transfer and recordation taxes and in structuring tax-deferred Section 1031 like-kind exchanges. In a recent representation of a roll-up into a master partnership, Bob's strategic tax advice allowed the client to avoid or save tens of millions in federal, state and local taxes.
Bob represented one of the Mid-Atlantic region's premier developers of mixed-use, town center and retail properties in forming a joint venture with a large California pension fund valued at more than $400 million. He also assisted another national developer in structuring joint ventures with multiple REITs and counseled a developer in a $100 million redevelopment of an affordable housing project in Baltimore City that involved a combination of public and private financing.
Businesses, individuals and families turn to Bob to advise on the formation of limited liability companies, partnerships, corporations, joint ventures, trusts, charitable organizations and other entities. He also provides counsel on income tax planning as well as federal, state and local tax compliance and audit issues. His representation of corporations includes structuring mergers and acquisitions; preparing buy-sell, shareholder and employment agreements; drafting contracts; and advising on various business, regulatory and legal issues.
Bob holds a coveted AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell. He is consistently recognized by Best Lawyers in the field of Tax Law and as one of Maryland's Super Lawyers. He earned his J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1980 and a B.S. in economics from the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Business in 1975. After graduating from Wharton, he obtained his CPA and spent two years in the audit and tax departments of Arthur Andersen & Co.
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business (B.S.)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) (Maryland)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Tax Court
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Best Lawyers, Tax Law (2001-2022)
- Maryland Super Lawyers (2007-2016, 2018-2022)
- SmartCEO, Baltimore "SmartLawyer" (2008-2010)
- American Bar Association
Business Law Section
- Maryland State Bar Association
Business Law Section
Former Chair, Business Law Section
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Former Board Member, Archbishop Curley High School
- Former Finance Committee Chair and Board Member, CCBC – Essex Foundation
- Board Member, Organization for Community Health Outreach
- Former Chair, Loyola High School Alumni Association
- Partner, Venable
- Partner, Frank, Bernstein, Conaway and Goldman
- Co-author, Maryland Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual
- "A Bird’s Eye View of the Taxation of Like-Kind Exchanges and Commercial Real Estate Taxation Generally," American Bar Association, Section of Taxation Annual Meeting, May 8, 2008
- Maryland Institute for Continuing Professional Education of Lawyers (MICPEL), lectures on tax, real estate and business matters