Thomas "Sam" Wood is a principal at Neuberger, Quinn, Gielen, Rubin & Gibber, P.A.. Known as an accomplished commercial and real estate litigator with more than three decades of experience serving as lead counsel in numerous trials and arbitrations, Sam is also skilled in employment, administrative, consumer protection, tort and estate and trust litigation matters. His clients include real estate developers and partnerships, automobile dealerships, retailers and individuals.
Since joining the firm in 1992, Sam has asserted and defended a wide variety of civil matters in both federal and state courts from Virginia to New York and represented clients in arbitration proceedings throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. He regularly appears in Maryland appellate and federal courts of appeals arguing insurance coverage, consumer protection, real estate, arbitration, land use, employment and First Amendment cases as well as other issues. Most recently, he successfully defended a prominent New York City real estate developer in a multimillion-dollar fraud suit, a national real estate developer in various real estate matters, and a real estate partnership in a range of housing-related issues.
A member of the Maryland and DC bars, Sam has been recognized nationally since 2006 by Best Lawyers in several categories, including commercial and real estate litigation, employment and land use law. He has been honored by Maryland Super Lawyers on numerous occasions and holds an AV preeminent rating from Martindale Hubbell.
Sam received his J.D. in 1979 from the University of Baltimore School of Law where he was a member of the Heisler Honor Society. He completed his undergraduate studies at the University of North Carolina in 1976.
University of Baltimore School of Law
(J.D., Cum Laude , 1979)
- Member, Heisler Honor Society
- University of North Carolina (B.A., 1976)
- District of Columbia
- Best Lawyers, Commercial, Employment, Land Use & Zoning; Real Estate Litigation (2008-2022)
- Best Lawyers, Baltimore Litigation – Land Use & Zoning "Lawyer of the Year" (2013, 2022)
- Maryland Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2009-2015, 2019-2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
Former Co-Chair, Subcommittee on Motions, Pleadings and Discovery
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented a large developer in $165 million dispute with investors involving fraud and forgery issues.
- Represented a large national shopping center developer in a dispute with a major tenant regarding the tenant's abandonment of a $10 million lease.
- Represented owner of multifamily apartment complex in revocation of license dispute that may have resulted in a $12 million loss.
Corporate Litigation & Business Advisory Practice
- Represented clients in federal and chancery court in Delaware regarding business dissolution and corporate governance issues.
- Represented one of the country's largest independent automobile dealerships with multiple locations in all aspects of their business, including employment disputes, contract disputes, truth in lending issues and consumer protection issues. Created proactive contract language-based solutions that have resulted in millions of dollars in reduced litigation costs.
- Represented a large, heavy equipment company with all contract, leasing and employment disputes. Also assisted in securing Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) minority status, which was central to the success of the firm.
Employment Litigation Defense
- Represented a large grocery chain in connection with sexual harassment claims in federal district court.
- Represented an international trade school in connection with sexual harassment, race discrimination, American Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) cases brought in federal district court.
- Represented one of the largest independent automobile dealerships nationally in federal court in connection with a sexual harassment and retaliation claim brought by an employee. The cause of action, which exceeded $1 million, was successfully settled.
- Advised and counseled numerous businesses, including banks and retailers, on employment-related issues such as discrimination, sexual harassment, American Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) compliance.
- Represented numerous businesses and nonprofits before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Maryland Human Relations Commission and Maryland Unemployment Commission as well as in state and federal courts regarding employment-related issues.
- Asserted and defended all life and health insurance claim lawsuits in the State of Maryland for one of the largest insurance companies in the world. Typical claims ranged from small cases to those well in excess of $1 million in policy exposure levels.
Zoning & Environmental Litigation & Regulatory Representation
- Represented a large developer/landowner against Baltimore County, Maryland, one of the nation's largest governmental (county) entities. Litigation and appellate representation went from circuit court, up through the court of appeals, in a complex and politically charged dispute regarding "down zoning" of property.
- Defended a large scrap metal processor in expeditiously and successfully resolving a complex matter involving zoning and collateral environmental issues with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Maryland Department of the Environment, as well as other issues.
- Represented a number of individuals and various businesses in connection with zoning disputes.
Consumer Protection Litigation
- Represented a large East Coast electronic retailer in a $16 million class action consumer protection claim brought by the Maryland Attorney General that involved proceedings throughout the entire judicial system of the State of Maryland—in circuit court, Maryland's Court of Special Appeals and the Court of Appeals. The matter was successfully resolved with negligible financial cost to corporation and absolutely no personal liability to the client's principals.
- Represented some of the largest independent automobile dealerships in national litigation related to Truth in Lending Act and consumer protection issues.
High-Profile Inter-Family Disputes
- Represented numerous members of high-profile, prominent families, including many involved in real estate development, in disputes regarding trusts, wills, family assets and dissipation of family assets. Claims ranged in size, including some that exceeded $10 million.
- Represented various family members and estates in trust accounting and will caveat matters.
First Amendment Litigation & Appellate Cases
- Defended a large corporation in a $40+ million antitrust claim asserted by a competitor in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland. This unique case ultimately turned on a novel First Amendment Free Speech argument. Obtained a favorable summary judgment for the client in federal district court and a win in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit. The case was denied Certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Represented numerous magazines and newspapers in First Amendment defamation actions and provided prepublication review for selected stories and articles.
- Consulted with defending counsel on First Amendment defense regarding a U.S. Senate Candidate's campaign ad. Created novel and winning arguments based on First Amendment case law research for the resulting defamation defense.
- Represented the world’s largest patent registration maintenance firm in successfully resolving a $20 million lawsuit brought by a prominent physician who was employed at one of the largest and most highly regarded medical institutions in the world.
- Partner, Frank Bernstein Conway and Goldman